Friday, October 16, 2009

I scream, you scream, we all scream for...TOEIC!

Today's class went better than last week because we were able to start earlier, but I have to admit that 10 minutes is not a lot of time to leave one class, get your things for another and make it there to start on time. However, I did notice today that there are some classrooms available close to my first period class, so it may be better to change rooms if possible. Also, I need to make sure that everything is photocopied because that can take time as well. Perhaps what I should try next time is to bring everything along with me so that I don't have to go upstairs at all. That way, I probably should be able to make it on time and not be so exhausted, as I've felt these two past Fridays. I must admit though, that I like having classes back to back because it frees up my Friday afternoons. Of course, I don't go home early or anything like that, but it is nice to have the afternoon to reflect on classes, prepare for next week or read, which is something I really have to catch up on, but isn't it common at the start of a new semester?

Well, today we started by correcting their homework. I had given them six pages of fill in the blank questions using the vocabulary from the academic word list. They all had their work done which was great. I did not choose anyone though, but asked them to volunteer answers. As we were correcting the work, I made comments where necessary regarding pronunciation or word usage particularly collocations. Once we finished, and this took a big chunk of the class, we moved on to the new list, again practicing pronunciation and having them do lexical derivations, mainly transposition. After this, I noticed that we had very little time, so we began correcting last week's work, but stopped halfway as we ran out of time.

This week I gave them the same amount of homework, but after today, I now realize that the homework, although important, takes up too much class time, so next week I will only give them half of the questions, and try to focus a little more on the book and see how that goes.

Well, I think that is it for this post. If you'd like to leave a comment, by all means please do!

Cheers,
eisensei

No comments:

Post a Comment