Thursday, April 15, 2010

Changes

Hi everyone!

My second day of the new academic year is over. I just finished my 4-skill class. So far I have about 18 students, but I think that may increase next week.

CLASS STRUCTURE

The textbook we will be using has a DVD with exercises and videos and that will be what we will be focusing on the most. The exercises can also be saved, so I will have them do the activities in class and email me their results. Another activity I hope to include is a dictation – students will watch the included video and try to transcribe it. Of course, there will be some names that may be difficult for them, but I will provide that information in advance. Therefore the structure of the class will run mainly like this:

1. Students will work through selected activities on the DVD and in the textbook; the results of the activities completed on the DVD will be submitted to me via email, while the textbook activities will be written out in their notebooks.
2. Students will watch the DVD and transcribe what they hear. This will also be done in their notebooks, which will be submitted to me each week.

However, like I wrote earlier today, as this is the first time to use this book and to follow this kind of plan, there may be necessary modifications that I will have to make.

TODAY’S CLASS

I followed the same plan as this morning, so I won’t go into any detail. I started thinking however after today’s class that maybe I should have done introductions, but I think I have a good reason why I am leaving that until next class – there will be more or fewer students next week as students can still change classes, and there are always some students who take the wrong class etc. I think therefore that just explaining the course this week and then waiting until next week to really get into introductions may be a good strategy. What do you think?

Cheers,
eisensei

SYLLABUS

このプリントは重要です!紛失しないでください

***************************
Classroom: **************************
Time: 4:20 – 5:50 Thursday
Instructor: *******************************
E-mail: ******************************
OFFICE: ************************

REQUIRED MATERIALS:

World English (Cengage)
Earphones or headphones
Dictionary
Notebook

NOTE: Students who do not bring these items will lose points.

GOALS:

By the end of the course, you should:
-have a larger vocabulary
-have a better ability in all 4 skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing)

SCHEDULE:

April
15 ORIENTATION
22

May
6
13
20
27

June
3
10 TEST 1
17
24

July
1
8
15
22
29 TEST 2

GRADES:

Grades will be based upon the following criteria:

*Attendance
Participation
Weekly Quizzes
Midterm Test
Final Test

*If you come at 4:35 or later, you will be marked absent.
*If you are absent 3 times, you will receive an F.
*If you are absent for a valid reason, you must give me that reason in writing by 1:00 PM Friday. If you fail to give me this notice of absence, you will be marked absent.

No comments:

Post a Comment